“ Comhairle na ndaltaí”
The student council is democratically elected in the school. It seeks to provide a channel of communication between students, management, staff and parents and represents the views of the student body on matters of concern to them. Student council members also get the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills.
The student council was founded in Virginia College in 2002. A previous council did exist for a period in the early 1990’s.
The student council is a representative structure for students, only through which they can be involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management, staff and parents for the benefit of the school and its students:
- The council consists of twenty-two members including a chairperson, secretary, assistant secretary, finance officer and a P.R representative. A member of staff acts as a liaison officer.
- The council runs from September to May each year.
- Student council meetings are held twice a month or when the need arises. Advanced notification is given on the student council notice board and through the intercom system It is the role of the chairperson to call meetings.
- Student council members are required to attend all meetings.
- Minutes recorded and minute book kept. All attendance must be recorded.
- Student Council members represent the student body and are expected to act as good role models for the student population.